Dear 2Y parents and students,
It has been such a joy working with you this year. I’m glad I was able to be a part of the class all year long and the transition to being your full-time teacher has been smooth because of your welcoming and gracious hearts. I have appreciated all your support as both a teacher and a mom-to-be. These past few months have been truly special.
Parents, thank you for your thoughtful gift. I will get a lot of use out of each one of those items! Thank you as well for the online card. It was a pleasure to read and I will treasure these memories.
I have loved watching your children grow, learn, and build friendships. I wish them all the best and know they will find success in grade 3. I pray that as families you have time to rest and enjoy God’s creation together this summer.
2Y has had a wonderfully productive last full week of school. Your child has worked very hard to make the end of grade 2 a success. Remember to talk to your child about their core competencies self-assessment.
Here’s what you need to know for our last 3 days of school:
- Monday and Tuesday are full days of class with regular school hours. On Wednesday, school ends at 12:30. Please arrange pick up for this time.
- Please send an extra bag with your grade 2 on Monday. They will be bringing home work from throughout the year and will need extra carrying space for their papers.
- Since we are finished Term 3, please help your child add up their home reading minutes. For all students who completed their goal, we will have a celebration in the Library on Tuesday.
This is to inform you that your child’s Core Competency Self-Assessment will be coming home this afternoon, June 15th. In 2Y, the students focused on at least one “I can” statement from each of the core competency categories: Communication, Thinking, and Personal/Social. As a class, we talked about these statements in different subjects and discussed how these competencies are also important outside of school.
Your grade 2 thought about how they overcame a challenge (on the blue paper), how they demonstrated their ability (on the green paper), and where they excel (on the yellow paper). They put thought into how they use these core competencies in school, on the playground, or at home.
Please take time to show interest in, read, and celebrate your child’s self-assessment. When you talk to your child about it, please focus on overcoming any challenges your child has documented as well as the areas they feel they excel. This is an opportunity to appreciate where they are at in the development of these skills and to celebrate the growth that they have demonstrated.
If you have any questions about this self-assessment, please feel free to speak to me.
Last week we enjoyed spending time with our buddies in the sunshine. Thank you to everyone who came or contributed.
Here’s what you need to know this week:
- Home reading will be wrapping up this week, so please check that your child has met their home reading goal for this term. For all those that meet their goal, we will have a celebration in the Library during the last week of school.
- Any library books still at home are now overdue. Please send any books left at home with your child. Lost book fees are due on Friday.
- Today, we started our last Words Their Way spelling of the year. Help your grade 2 practice their spelling words this week so they can end the year with a successful spelling test.
We were so thankful for the gorgeous weather today at Sport’s Day! Talk to your child about their favourite station and what kind of ribbon their team earned.
Here’s what you need to know for next week:
- Our last visit with our grade 7 buddies will be on Monday during our field trip to Deas Island. We will leave the school at 11:00 am and return at 2:45 pm. Be sure that your child brings there lunch as there will be no Nova Foods delivered before we leave. If you have signed up to bring something, feel free to join us and bring it with you or send it along with your child in the morning.
- The library is now closed and all books are due Friday, June 8. All fees for lost books are due June 15. Both the Library and AR program are no longer available after school, so please arrange pick-up for your child at 2:45.
- 2Y’s Bible Memory Verse, Matthew 6:9-13, is due on Friday. Please take some time to practice the Lord’s Prayer with your child since it is a long one!
All the grade 2 students had a lot of fun today at the Salmon Hatchery. Ask your child about their favourite parts and if they enjoyed releasing their own salmon into the river.
This is everything important for next week:
- This will be our last week of the year for Library and AR. 2Y will visit the Library for the last time as a class on Monday and students can return books at any time until June 8. The Library will be closed after school starting Monday, June 4 so please make other arrangements for pick up if necessary.
- Next Friday will be Sports Day in the morning at the elementary campus and the Carnival will be at the middle school campus in the afternoon. Make sure to dress your child appropriately. This will most likely mean shorts, hats, sunscreen, and runners. We will dismiss the elementary students at 12:30 to eat lunch with their families and then you are welcome to head over to the carnival at 2:30.
- The permission form for our Deas Island Field Trip on Monday, June 4 is now available. Please make sure to check your email for the link. If you would like to join us, there will be a snack sign-up sheet available at our classroom door.
We have had an insightful week discovering how healthy our snack and sleep choices are. Ask your grade 2 about the healthy decisions they make every day for their body, heart, mind, and soul.
Here’s everything you need to know for our next (much shorter) week:
- Our hatchery visit is this Friday. Please remember to accept the online permission form. Your grade 2 will need to dress for the weather. This means layers for a chilly morning and a hot afternoon. They will also need rain boots for walking in the mud on the river bank. Since we are bringing our snacks with us, your child could use a small backpack in case they need to carry it.
- This week is our last week of clubs for the year. If your child is in a club on Mondays or Tuesdays, they have already had their last day. Please remind your grade 2 if they are in a club this term.
- Because of Victoria Day on Monday and a Pro-D Day on Tuesday, our week is quite short. That means this week there will be no spelling or bible memory due on Friday. Enjoy your long weekend!
2Y students loved Money Week and learned a lot about spending, saving, and tithing! Talk to them about the financial decisions they made.
Here’s what you need to know:
- This upcoming week, we will track our sleep and snacks. 2Y is learning about healthy practices in Science and we will record how much we slept the night before and what we are eating for our snack today. You do not need to do anything special and please don’t change your family’s habits for the week.
- Nova Food is closed on May 18 (Friday). The public schools are closed that day, but we are still open. Please arrange an alternate meal for your child on Friday.
- Our new Bible Memory Verse is the Lord’s Prayer, Matthew 6:9-13. Because it is so long, 2Y will not have to recite the verse until Friday, June 8th. Please practice at home.
Next week is Money Week! 2Y students are very excited, so please use this as an opportunity to talk with your child about spending, saving, and tithing in your household.
Here’s everything you need to know for the upcoming week:
- Class Photo Day is on Wednesday, May 9. Our class will be taking photos after P.E. and they will have time to change clothes before taking pictures.
- 2Y will answer questions to help with next year’s class placement planning on Thursday, May 10. At home, please discuss the following:
Money Week is all about exploring financial literacy through play. Every day for the week, the students in 2Y will be given $1. Students will also be given a bank account (a small-folder) with three pockets marked: tithe, save, and spend. You may want to use this week to share how your family manages money and its place for building God’s kingdom. We also encourage you to discuss what your child plans to do with their money next week. Here is what they can spend their money on:
- Who do you like to play with at school?
- Who would you like to have a playdate with?
- Who do you work well with?
- Who would you like to sit on the bus with when we go on field trips?
- $1 – 5 minutes of either extra recess or ipad time.
- $3 – Friday Fun Teacher Time: cookie decorating with Ms. Chan OR Gymnastic lesson with Ms. Hesmert OR Rock climbing wall with Mrs. Ansley.
- $0-$5 – Students can tithe up to $5. The teacher will match their tithe with real money so they can offer their tithe to their church on Sunday. They will be given the money on Friday, May 11.
Our hatchery visit has been rescheduled! We will now be going on Friday, May 25th. We are so thankful that the hatchery and RCS have been flexible and accommodating. Thank you for your understanding as well.
A new permission form has been emailed to you. This old online form has been deleted. Please sign the updated version even if you have already given permission for the previous date.