We have had a wonderful year in music class! Your children have learned and accomplished so much, and we are so proud of all of them!
Here is our final monthly music update. We hope all of your families will have a wonderful summer. See you in September!
Kindergarten (Mrs. Kinniston)
- Reviewed the Songs of the Months that we have learned this year (“Indescribable”, “Thankful”, “May the Words of My Mouth”, “Amazing Grace”, “Cornerstone”, and “Who You Say I Am”)
- Created our own rhythm patterns, and also worked in small groups to create, practice, and perform our creations
- Listened to the Grade 6 band play a concert for the Elementary school
- Completed our Kindergarten Music Books which included the music concepts we have learned this year (dynamics, tempo, pitch, beat, and rhythm)
- next year: Mrs. Chong will be your music teacher in Grade 1, and all your music classes will be in the music room!
Grade 1 (Mrs. Chong)
- sang the song “You are a Child of the King” for the Grade 12 buddies at their graduation!
- chose a First Nations animal and created music with percussion instruments to match that animal (a concluding activity to our listening unit on the music from “The Carnival of the Animals“)
- next year: We will have lots of fun in Grade 2 music! (more percussion instruments, music games, another listening unit, group projects, singing and dancing, and more!)
Grade 2 (Mrs. Chong)
- completed a creative group project based on creating music with percussion instruments to accompany a First Nations story, “Rabbit’s Snow Dance”
- learned a variety of folk dances
- learned some “Canada songs” and attended the Grade 3 Canada Fair presentation
- next year: Look forward to learning the recorder in Grade 3!
Grade 3 (Mrs. Chong)
- prepared for and performed in the Grade 3 Canada Fair
- continued learning the recorder and earned the first THREE belts in the Recorder Karate program!
- next year: Keep practicing your recorder over the summer, and bring it back to school in Grade 4! You will also be performing in the Grade 4-5 spring musical!
Grade 4 (Mrs. Chong)
- completed the Recorder Karate Program and earned the Black Belt by playing O Canada
- next year: We have finished learning the recorder and will be learning handbells and ukulele in Grade 5! You will also be performing again in the Grade 4-5 spring musical!
Grade 5 (Mrs. Chong)
- continued learning the ukulele!
- learned a number of chords and strumming patterns
- practiced accompanying various worship songs!
- next year: HAVE FUN IN MIDDLE SCHOOL! Enjoy band and choir with Mr. Reimer!
Have a wonderful summer, everyone! God bless!
~ Mrs. Chong and Mrs. Kinniston