First of all, I have to share with you a picture of the sunrise I got to see over the school field!
Next week will be Dance week. All specialist (Music, French, PE) classes will be cancelled. Students will be attending 30 minutes dance classes taught by a dancing instructor from Monday to Friday. Library will be changed to Wednesday instead!
In Language Arts we:
- Continued to work on printing books
- Practiced retelling stories (characters, setting, problem, solution) and writing basic ones
- I read aloud various stories where the main characters write their own story
On Monday, we talked about diversity and similarities in our classroom. Students worked in pairs and asked questions to a partner to learn more about the other person. They then filled out a Venn diagram to visually see what they have in common, and things that are different between them. It was exciting to hear the discussions and see new friendships form.
On Tuesday, I introduced Story Workshop. The students enjoyed listening to a story about the beach. I then retold the story using shells, pebbles and wooden figures to represent people. I also made up my own story afterwards. The students were seeing that they are all authors with stories to tell. They can use their own experiences to tell a story, or their imaginations. Students then had a chance to practice this with their own story boards and manipulatives.
On Wednesday, students began working on a new snowman art project. We have been talking this term about perspective. This time, they created one as if they had a “birds eye view” of their snowman.
Thank you to Victoria’s family for coming to share with us this week. We learned that their family is from Taiwan. Her dad David trades stocks and enjoys riding motorcycles. Her mom Kelly works at Elite Education Institute as a principal and also teaches Grade 11 and 12 math. Victoria has a younger sister Elizabeth who is in Kindergarten at our school. Together, they enjoy riding bikes, skating, and playing dress up. Their family enjoys camping and watching the Canucks play. Together they have visited Cancun, Vegas, Hong Kong, San Diego and Alaska. They attend Willingdon church and enjoy visiting with grandparents after the service.
Below are a couple of pictures from Exploration Time over the past couple of weeks.
Notes and Reminders
- Valentines Day is on Thursday, February 14th. If students would like to bring cards for their classmates, they are welcome to do so! Please do not send goodie bags or large items as their “Valentine’s Day mail boxes” will be very small.
- I created a small “creation station” today (kind of like an art center). If you happen to have some toilet paper rolls etc. or any small craft supplies that you don’t need and are in the way, we could definitely include it so the students can explore materials and create.
- The February verse and calendar will be going home on Monday.